Brenner FIT for Health Care Professionals
The Brenner FIT Program provides treatment for children ages 2 to 18 with weight-related co-morbidities.
If children have a body mass index [BMI = weight in pounds/(height in inches)² x 703 – OR — metric formula [BMI = weight in kg/(height in meters)²] greater than or equal to the 95th percentile for age and gender, a medical evaluation and blood work by your primary care physician is recommended.
Use this link for help in calculating BMI percentiles in children.
Below are the co-morbidities most often seen in Brenner FIT.
Laboratory Co-morbidity Diagnosis:
- Hypercholesterolemia (High cholesterol)
- Hyperlipidemia (High LDL (bad or “Lousy”) cholesterol)
- Dyslipidemia (Low HDL (good or “Healthy”) cholesterol)
- Hypertriglyceridemia (High triglycerides- kind of like cholesterol)
- Hyperinsulinism (Pre-, pre-diabetes)
Other Weight-Related Co-morbidity Diagnoses:
- Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis (SCFE)/ Blount's Disease
- Hypertension (High blood pressure)
- Elevated LFT's/NAFLD/NASH
- Pseudotumor Cerebri
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)
- Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease or Steatohepatitis
- Sleep Apnea
- Acanthosis Nigricans
If your patient has a BMI ≥ 40 kg/m2, we will see them regardless of co-morbidities, but please order fasting labs prior to referral.
To refer a child to Brenner FIT, please complete and fax the Brenner FIT Physician Referral Form 2014. (PDF)
To keep our wait list as short as possible, please make sure families are motivated to make a change and are interested in joining Brenner FIT. Please call or e-mail with any questions you or your office may have.